Friday, June 11, 2010

Hiking Pizzino to Fraggio (Val Taleggio, Bergamo)


Pizzino (24 miles north of Bergamo)
to Fraggio (light blue line)
It shouldn't come as a surprise that I consider this to be more of a stroll because all it involves is less than 30 minutes of putting one foot in front of the other. The trail begins from Agriturismo Il Pavone in Pizzino that continues on a dirt path passing their farm, and the point of interest here is an ancient (15th century?) church - Chiesetta San Lorenzo - which sits amidst rural surroundings. So rural, in fact, and so quiet, that after I took the image below and walked around the church, I returned to see a cow in the exact same spot where I had been only minutes before. Apparently the beasts come and go as they please.

Chiesetta San Lorenzo
Italian cows are happy cows...

Getting to Pizzino is a natural wonder in itself since the road through Val Taleggio follows along a deep gorge that has no shortage of splashing, flowing, cascading water during spring. There is one "the Rock fountain" in particular that sits on the side of the road as a sort of ambassador to the valley. Too bad he's not spitting wine. I got the westie to pose but the doxie wasn't having any of it. To find it: here's the gps coordinates [45.88820N 9.60245E].

Cascata in Val Taleggio Right place at the right time Val Taleggio
Fraggio da "Rock" Maddie and da "Rock"

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger K and S said...

beautiful scenery!

1:31 AM, June 11, 2010  
Blogger Frizzy and Bird said...

Looks like so much fun!

2:23 AM, June 11, 2010  
Blogger Fern Driscoll said...

The scenery on your hikes is breath-taking - just lovely. Is that a real cow? She looks so, I don't know... stuffed. Excellent and slightly disorienting cow photo. They are amongst the knobbiest and funniest of creatures I've always thought.

4:12 PM, June 11, 2010  
Blogger Rowena... said...

Fern - I had a hard time believing it myself when she just popped into view like that. And wait a minute...are you comparing her to the poor things that are crammed into a pen like in the movie Fast Food Nation? I watched that a few nights ago...disgusting!

4:29 PM, June 11, 2010  
Blogger OkiHwn said...

More pictures of Ms. M.

6:17 PM, June 12, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow looks a fabulous place, love the water falls also. Comment on the cow it maybe reminds me of one of those from dancing commercials that appear on television every now and then. Maria

5:01 AM, June 18, 2010  
Blogger Rowena... said...

Maria - I've been following an italian hiking blog so I really hope to find more magical places like these. Beauty is everywhere in these parts....cows too!

7:46 AM, June 18, 2010  
Blogger Richard said...

Can you give us the URL of the blog?

11:26 PM, January 05, 2012  
Blogger Rowena... said...

Richard - I can't remember exactly which blog that I was referring to but currently I read the following:
www.diska.it
fabio-trekker.blogspot.com
quellichelamontagna.blogspot.com

8:17 AM, January 12, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home